- 1 large ripe yellow peaches, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Stevia In The Raw Bakers Bag
- 2 tablespoons Sugar In The Raw Organic White
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scrapped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup Stevia In The Raw Bakers Bag
- 1/4 cup Sugar In The Raw Organic White + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling over top
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsoftened butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the peaches, sugars, lemon zest, and scraped vanilla bean (optional). Cook over medium-high heat until the peaches are cooked but still somewhat intact, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard vanilla pod, if used. Stir in the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk the egg lightly. To the egg, add the oil, sugars, yogurt, butter, and almond extract, whisking until they are well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and whisk just until blended. Fold in half of the cooked peaches.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling cups almost to the top. Top each muffin with about two to three peaches and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and spring back lightly when pressed in the center. Immediately turn the muffins out on to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. Muffins will keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: If you prefer not to use stevia, simply double the sugar amount in the saucy peaches (to 4 tablespoons sugar) and in the muffins (to 1/2 cup sugar) + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling on top.