Summer is finally here, and I hope you plan on taking some time off and enjoying the season with a fun vacation! However, if you’re like most people, you may find it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle while traveling, considering the indulgent meals and little movement that tend to accompany vacation plans. But you don’t have to forsake your best intentions for a healthy vacation, which is why I’m providing my top 10 summer travel tips. Check them out below!
1. Start the day right. If you eat a hearty (yet healthy) breakfast, then you’re more likely to feel satiated throughout the day. Try to include protein, healthy fats, and whole grains on your plate, as this will nourish your body and leave you feeling energized for your fun vacation activities. When eating out, most restaurants will serve you a veggie scramble, oatmeal with nuts and berries, or avocado toast with an egg.
2. Drink up. During these hot summer months, you lose a lot of water through your sweat, so it’s important to replenish your stores by staying hydrated with water (PSA: beer and mojitos don’t count). The National Academy of Medicine recommends 3.7 liters (15 cups) for men and 2.7 liters (11 cups) for women, so try carrying a water bottle with you, or drinking a few extra glasses of water with each meal.
3. Pack non-perishable snacks. It’s always a good idea to pack light snacks to stave off hunger, and non-perishable ones such as nuts, dried fruits, trail mix, and energy bites are great options. These items are kid-friendly and easy to pack, so they are perfect for road trips or a mid-day pick-me-up.
4. Take advantage of summer weather. Even though it’s hot outside, summer is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy nature, so try renting bikes or hiking through some nearby nature trails. It’s amazing what being outside can do for your overall mood, health, and well-being!
5. Use sunscreen. Don’t forget the SPF while you’re outside! Not only will this help prevent sun damage, but it will also make the entire trip more enjoyable if you’re not the color of cooked lobster. Just make sure you are using sunscreen with at least 30 SPF for optimal protection.
6. Eat fresh summer produce. Summer is the perfect time of year to devour your favorite seasonal produce so, if you can, try to stop by a farmer’s market. The fresh fruits and vegetables make for a tasty, yet nutritious snack that’s full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to keep you healthy and happy all vacation long.
7. Carry hand sanitizer. Protect yourself and your family from nasty germs with hand sanitizer. Get a few different bottles for your purse and/or backpack so you always have easy access.
8. Get enough sleep. While it may be tempting to stay out late and wake up early to maximize your time, this rigorous schedule can be quite taxing on your body, so try to aim for 7 hours of sleep each night. This will help keep your immune system healthy and you will have more energy to spend adventuring with your family.
9. Take time for yourself. A healthy lifestyle includes a healthy mind, so take all the time you need to recharge your batteries. Whether it’s a morning meditation session, or treating yourself to a spa day, you deserve to feel relaxed and refreshed!
10. Feed your soul. It’s so easy to fall into the social media “trap” while on vacation, but this year, try to unplug more often and make memories instead. If you feed your soul as well as your body, you will come back feeling refreshed and ready to tackle life!
What are some of the things you do to stay healthy when you travel? Leave me a message. I’d love to hear from you!